Friday, June 17, 2011

Fearless

I've been gardening lately...much to the surprise of my family and friends. You see, I am not an outdoorsy girl. I don't like outside. It is hot. And buggy. And there is wildlife, and I don't like wildlife. I don't like snakes, and truth be told, I'm not a fan of birds either. Birds on the other hand, love me. I'm like Snow White. I go outside, and birds flock to me, much to my fear.

Fear. I'm discovering that I've been living in fear. Fear of failing, messing up, getting hurt, getting scared, whatever. So I don't try new things. Because I don't want to risk not being perfect. But writing has helped me become fearless.

To write means to risk rejection. Well, more accurately, to submit your writing means to risk rejection. But to seek publication, one must submit. And I'm getting acceptance! Yes, rejections come too. But the funny thing is, they don't hurt so much. So I don't fear them anymore.

The gardening? The first week I saw 6 snakes! Literally I haven't seen a snake in years, and SIX?? Was that the devil saying "get back in the house!" I don't know, but I kept "digging." I've also had 3 ticks. But I'm fearless.

And yes, the stupid voles have eaten some of what I've planted. But so what! I'll keep digging. Because the end result doesn't have to be perfect. The important thing is I'm doing it.

The only thing that's been holding me back is me. And I'm letting me go. And I'm trusting God. And I'm fearless.

Chatty Kelly

9 comments:

Sharon Sloan - Joy In The Truth said...

Great for you, sister!! Woo Hoo! :) Proud of you!

Wow....6 snakes. That's crazy! You are one brave woman!!!

Hugs,
Sharon

Loree Huebner said...

Good for you! The snakes were probably more afraid of you then the other way around.

I love gardening. I feel close to God in my garden. Enjoy!

Edie said...

I'm proud of you Kelly! And congratulations on the acceptances. Woo Hoo!

Um, I hope you got rid of those snakes. I would NOT want to meet a snake while I was gardening. Yes you are fearless. :)

Your 2nd chance friend said...

Wow, that's some pretty big stuff there, Chatty! Overcoming your fear of not being perfect is way bigger than facing your fear of bugs, ticks, and snakes. Proud of you!

Sue J. said...

Scripture tells us that we aren't given a spirit of timidity. So, when that creeps up in me, I have to remember that it really is coming from within ME. What I choose to do with the fear comes down to living in it or telling God about it. Glad that you are seeking Him more in ALL things....

A multi-dimensional life said...

This is a great lesson! I was just going to attempt to plant some flowers, but when I read about the snakes, I thought..."maybe not!" HA!
Actually, you've inspired me to get out the garden gloves and go for it! :)
Happy Father's Day week-end to you and yours!

Rachel @ The Lazy Christian said...

I deal with fear and anxiety a LOT. I just need to remember that when God lays something on my heart (like my writing) he's doing it for a reason. I can't let my fear get in the way of what he wants to do!

My ADHD Me said...

"Letting go and trusting God".
Such words of wisdom.
Oh yeah, I learned them from you.

P.S. I thought princesses had a full staff or "court" to do those outside things. Oh, I get it. You're trying to learn something new AND generously giving the "court" the day off to take care of other things. I keep looking out the door as I am sure you would have sent them over here to help me out a bit...

waiting.

still waiting..

ahem, are you sure you gave them the correct address?

waiting......

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

You are awesome, Kelly!! I'm so proud of you! And inspired by you. Keep pushing those boundaries - the sky is the limit!