Monday, March 7, 2011

Rain or Shine?

"You have taken off your old self with its practices and have put
on the new self." Colossians 3:9, 10


THE SKY POURED down a warm summer rain. My girls slipped on their boots and raincoats, and skipped out to play in the puddles. Soon their boots were filled and their clothes were covered in muddy water. I called them in, stripped off their muddy clothes, and put them straight into the bath. After they were washed, they put on clean, dry clothes. It would have been unthinkable to put back on their wet dirty clothes. It would have been like they’d never bathed.

As children of God, we too have been called in from worldly things. We have had the filthiness removed from our bodies, and put on our “new self.” Too often, however, we do the unthinkable. We put back on the filthiness. Lust, greed, anger and lying are some examples of our muddied past, our old self. Once we’re no longer clean, we have no incentive to stay out of the puddles of sin.

Accepting Christ means focusing on Him. No more mudslinging. We have to clean up our act. Instead of dressing ourselves in the muddy clothes of our past, we must instead clothe ourselves in compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. This requires daily cleansing through confession, repentance and God’s forgiveness.

Then we’ll no longer be tempted by the puddles, but instead will bask in the Son.

Spend some time basking in the Son today, even if it’s raining.

This devotion by me originally appeared in Light from the Word. Check out their devotions on-line!

Chatty Kelly

*Musical Monday is taking the day off. It will be back next week.*

3 comments:

Outlook Exchange said...

That was indeed an inspiration post! I always see to it that I don't do any wrong and be kind and nice to all around.

My ADHD Me said...

I know you must get tired of the same old comments from me, but I really do love your posts. I love the way to talk directly to me.
Hey! Are you talking directly to me??

Melanie said...

Sounds like fruit of the Spirit to me.