Friday, August 13, 2010

The Language of Love & Respect - Book Review


The Language of Love & Respect is the sequel to Dr. Emerson Eggerichs best-selling book Love & Respect. I had never read Love & Respect, but had heard wonderful things about it, so when I got the chance to get a free copy of this book in exchange for a review I jumped at it.

Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy the book. In my opinion, the book read like a text book. It wasn't something that would be an enjoyable read, but something that requires study. The use of acronyms was overkill. First there was C-O-U-P-L-E, then C-H-A-I-R-S. Next we had to learn about how COUPLE and CHAIRS get you out the Crazy Cycle and into the Energizing Cycle.

These acronyms and "codes," that most will never remember, were too complicated to be very useful. The writing was lackluster, and did not hold my attention. While I'm sure there is benefit to be found in the book, I think you'd have to dig deep and focus hard to find it.

If you're looking for a deep study book on marriage communication, this may be the book for you. But unfortunately, it was not the book for me.

Chatty Kelly

4 comments:

Sharon Sloan - Joy In The Truth said...

The Love & Respect video teachings on "CHAIRS", etc., is excellent. Emerson Eggerich is so gifted in teaching. His passion pours out. I am sorry you didn't like the book, but check out the videos!!! We facilitate the Love & Respect home fellowship group studies, and they are life-changing!!!

This may be better in video than in book form. :)

Hugs,
Sharon

Anonymous said...

I read this book awhile ago and felt exactly the same way! I found myself skimming it towards the end. Can't tell you much about it now. Linda E.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Thank you for being honest. I wish reviewers, esp. Believers, understood it's OK to be honest but kind. I liked the concepts in the original series, have not read this book. I can tell you, though, that acronyms like that drive me bonkers. Maybe there is a Cliff's Notes version somewhere. Most chapters can be boiled down to one or two sentences!

Julie Gillies said...

I appreciate you honesty here, Kelly. Our church did a weekend teaching on the original book, which I have, but I've not yet read this one. It sounds like it might be written more for professionals than the average husband or wife.