Monday, August 30, 2010

I Want You To Want Me

“I want you to want me. I need you to need me. I’d love you to love me.”
I Want You To Want Me, Cheap Trick, 1977

We all have the desire to be wanted, needed and loved. It's human nature. Yet, as humans we are created in the image of God. The image of a God who wants us to want Him, Who needs us to need Him, And Who'd love us to love Him.

But God is a God of freedom, He is a God of free will. So while He wants us to want Him, He doesn't require it of us. He allows us to choose if we want to love Him.

God told Adam & Eve not to eat the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, but He allowed them the free will to make their own decision. Jesus said, "IF you love me, keep my commands." (John 14:15) He allows us to choose. Joshua told his people, "choose for yourselves whom you will serve." (Joshua 24:15)

I can't imagine the God of the Universe, who is mighty and powerful, all-knowing and all controlling allowing ME to make such a huge decision! Me?!? I can't even decide what to make for dinner most of the time! Yet God loves me so much that he doesn't want to drag me into a relationship with Him, but instead He wants me to want Him. And He wants you to want Him too.

Musical Musings:
1. Do you believe in free will? Why or why not?
2. Have you made a conscience decision to love God, and because of that decision do you obey Him?
3. How do you show God you love Him in your daily life? Can others tell you love God by your actions?

Karaoke:
God, thank you for wanting me! I've done nothing to be called your child, yet all you ask is that I confess with my mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in my heart that you raised him from the dead, and I will be saved. Thank you God! Thank you for wanting me and loving me. Help me to love you, serve you, and obey you. In Jesus Name, Amen.

Rock On:
Joshua 24:15 says, "But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD." Think about ways your household is serving the Lord. If there are no apparent ways, why not start serving more today.


Chatty Kelly

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I rarely ever comment on a blog.

I have been following yours for some time now, and this is one of your best.

You have a gift in the way you are able to associate our everyday life with Him and the Good News of Jesus Christ.

You attract the reader to read the message because of your use of catchy titles and intro's. And you keep the reader reading through the end of the message with real substance and your superb tie in to supporting Scripture.

Keep up the good work. I'll be back Wednesday.

Cindy Currier said...

I concur with the above comment (regarding your gift). Nice post, Kelly.

My ADHD Me said...

The Anonymous writer said it all and I agree 100%.
That is definitely my favorite part about your posts. You can find God in anything!!

Also, hope that Anonymous comment made you realize that there really is no telling at all how many people you are touching through your writing.

Bonita said...

That was one of my favorite songs as a teenager, probably because it was the cry of my heart. Oddly enough, God didn't answer it through a teenage boy (my original desire), but through Jesus.

Such great analogies, Kelly! As alway!

Anonymous said...

I love this post. Anonymous hit the nail on the head! This reminds me of one of my favorite worship songs, "Draw Me Close" that says, "You're all I want. You're all I've ever needed." I'm sure that must be music to God's ears (pun intended). And YAY for instant gratification comments... :)

Tracy Thomas said...

That last comment was not supposed to be from anonymous, but from me, Tracy Thomas. I don't know what happened...

Sue J. said...

It does seem crazy that God would leave such decision-making to mere mortals. But I think He also knows that we aren't going to make the right choices all the time, even when we do choose to follow Him. Faith is about making the mistakes and realizing that God is the only One who can set us free again--thus, our response to want, need, love, because we recognize that as best!

"Feelin' all alone without a Friend, you know, you feel like dyin'...."

Julie Gillies said...

Oh my goodness, Kelly, I haven't thought of this song in ages. But it's a good one!

What a fantastic analogy, and I wholeheartedly agree with your Anonymous commenter!