Monday, November 9, 2009

Speed Trap

I was cruising down the interstate on a glorious day! The temperature was just perfect out, the sun was shinning and I was feeling fabulous. As I traveled along, a glance at the speedometer showed I was exceeding the speed limit. Well, I wasn't speeding, exactly, I was just keeping up withh traffic. I mean no one drives the speed limit, do they? Well, there were a couple of people over in the slow lane, but I mean like some body's old grandma or something. None of the cool people. I'd just stay in the middle lane and keep up with everyone else.


As I continued along, my favorite song came on the radio. Wow, I love that song! I sped up a bit, enjoying the music. I drifted over to the passing lane, so I could get out of the traffic flow in the middle lane. I was only going a little bit faster now, but it just felt right. I mean, if it feels right, you have to do it, don't you?


Suddenly I saw some flashing lights in my rear view mirror. "Oh, snap!" I pulled over. Great, the policeman was in the mood to give a lecture. Didn't I know that speeding was dangerous? I could hurt someone, or even myself. I could have an accident and end up killed. Thanking the officer (but not particularly meaning it), I took my summons and drove off, paying particular attention to the speed limit. Yes, I'd slowed down, but I wasn't happy about it. I mean who did that cop think he was anyway? He probably speed too on his off time. He was just making his monthly quota.


This fictitious account is meant to help you reflect on sin. Speeding represents sinning. How often do we do some "little thing" with the excuse that it's not really sinning, or that everyone else is doing it? Maybe it's taking the Lord's Name in vain, which I hear so often from non-Christians and Christians alike. People down play it as just a phrase or saying - but it is the name above all names! And we're using it as a swear word. But whatever "little thing" we're doing, we excuse.


Next the little thing may lead to another little thing, or a bigger thing. Sin leads to more sin. Once we begin hardening our hearts to sin, it's harder for the Holy Spirit to prompt us. And the Police Officer? He represents a godly friend. You know the person who comes to you and tells you they're worried about one of your behaviors. This analogy shows what is often best case scenario. A "thank you" we don't mean, and a changed behavior for a short time. Often times we actually get defensive or enraged that the person should point out OUR behavior. THEY too are a sinner.


I pray today for godly people in my life, and in yours, to point out our short falls. I pray for a humble spirit to hear the truth, and not become defensive. Just like speeding, sinning can lead to hurt people and even to death. May we all get caught in a "speed trap," trapping our sin and changing our behavior.

Matthew 18:15 -- If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over.





Chatty Kelly

13 comments:

Kelly said...

This really made me smile. Thanks for taking the time to reflect on sin in our lives and then to write about it, too.

Andrea said...

We seem to forget the consequences. One wrong choice can cost a life. Sure not all wrong choices lead to death, but far too many do.

Blessings and hugs, andrea

Diane said...

Good one! Sin is sin. It's pride that makes me think the murderer's sin is way worse than my little white lie sin. :O)

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

Great story, Kelly! May God keep righteous people in our lives to prevent us from sinning even in the little areas. Sin is sin, no matter how big or small.

Love you!
Sonya

KrippledWarrior said...

Having been a sailor for 22 years I've heard my share. One particular friend used the Lord's name every third word out of his mouth. I had recently been saved and it bugged me. So every time I got a stress, I said "Holy jumping Roger Ferry"(His name as a cuss word). The message got through loud and clear, to Roger and the rest of my shipmates who didn't want their names used for cussing.
Don't try this at home kids. Your results may vary.

KrippledWarrior said...

All sin is sin. But all sins are not equal. Jesus says there is an unforgivable sin, and 1John says not all sin leads to death. But there is a sin that does lead to death.
Thus endeth the lesson.

Irritable Mother said...

I remember the first time I got pulled over for speeding. I was on my way home from work - about 17 years old, I think - and the officer told me that if I was speeding and someone was coming out of their driveway I'd get there sooner than they thought I would, and that could be a problem if they pulled out - thinking I wasn't speeding.
I wanted to ask him if he'd gone to college to get so smart. But something made me hold my tongue. *grin*
Yes. We need to listen to the friends God sends to us with words of caution and concern. May we be humble and gracious to receive His love!

Edie said...

Oh I echo your prayer Kelly. "I pray for a humble spirit to hear the truth, and not become defensive." Amen!

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

You had me with your story!

But this is so true. We can try and justify, but it doesn't negate the fact that sin is sin. Awesome post friend.

Linda said...

Thanks for the reminder. It's true...God sees all sin the same way.

B His Girl said...

I was anxious to hear what song you were listening to! lol
Allowing sin leads to more sin and excuses. It is good to have people to help us stay accountable.

Susan said...

DH has often preached about this very thing on Sunday morning using the speeding analogy. Of course people think he's off his rocker to only go the speed limit on the interstate...but he points out that it's part of learning to live in boundaries. I've learned a lot from driving right at the limit. It reminds me that the boundaries are there for a reason...and speeding is only the tip of a huge sin-potential iceberg!

Thanks for the reminder.

Sharon@JoyInTheTruth said...

Glad this was "fictitious"! :)

I so appreciate the "iron that sharpens iron" friends who point me to Him and keep the bar raised to Biblical standards!

Keeping it real while pursuing holiness.

Love you,
Sharon