Friday, May 29, 2009

The Army

Monday was Memorial Day. That is the day the government set aside for all those in the United States to stop and reflect on the those in the military who gave their lives for our freedom. I am so thankful for those who served.

It must be tough being a soldier. You may be called to do things you don't want to do, or are afraid to do, but you do them because of your love of the country you serve. And while it wasn't always true, our country is currently made up of a completely volunteer armed service.

Many other countries require military service. In Israel, national military service is mandatory for any non-Arab Israeli citizen over the age of 18. Men serve three years, while women serve two.

My husband is a Army Veteran having graduated from the United State Military Academy, fought in Vietnam and served 4 years in the service. I have never served in the United States Army. But I am in God's army.

Like the US Army, God doesn't require that you serve. It is completely a volunteer army. Sometimes it's tough being a soldier for God. You may be called to do things you don't want to do, or are afraid to do, but you do them because of your love of the God you serve.

Serving in God's army requires dedication, just like in the US Army. Some even lay down their life, martyrs for Jesus. I'll probably never be called to that level of service. I pray I'm not. But I'm proud to be God's army just the same.

"I may never march in the infantry, ride in the cavalry, shoot in the artillery, I may never zoom o'er the enemy, but I'm in the Lord's army." Are you?

2 Timothy 2:3 -- Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus.



Chatty Kelly

12 comments:

The Patterson 5 said...

Oh I love that song! Mrs White at NHPC taught that song to Sam when he was just a toddler! He still sings it today!

Beth in NC said...

I can't imagine being forced to to do military service. I especially can't imagine seeing my child forced to join. That would be horrible.

I am so grateful for the men and women who have served our country! Thank your husband for me.

Yes, I'm in the Lord's army. :o)

Blessings!
Beth

Greg C said...

We are on the same wavelength Kelly. I thought about this subject just yesterday. What if God called me to do something that I really didn't want to do? Would I have the strength to answer the call? What if giving my life would mean something positive for hundreds or thousands or maybe even millions of people, would I give my life? Jesus did.
When I was in the Navy that thought was always there in the back of my head but now that I am retired, it is something that I haven't thought about in a while. Great post and thank your husband for me.

My ADHD Me said...

Like Greg said, I would love to think I would have the strength if God called me to do something like that...free will can be harder than the required enlistment.

I forgot to tell your hubby thanks on Memorial Day. Thank him for me. He's a hero.

You are definitely a soldier in God's army and you've made it clear that you aren't afraid to do everything you can to recruit others. That makes you a hero too!

Mocha with Linda said...

Yes, Sir!

Great thoughts.

Except now this song is going to be on my brain all day. Thanks a lot.

T. Anne said...

Love that song, lot's of preschool memories (from my children). Lord's army for sure, *raises hand*

Mrs. Sidney said...

I know this is going to sound crazy but I think it has be harder for me serving in God's army compared to being on active duty.

Beverlydru said...

I'm with Mocha with Linda... I'm in the army and I'm going to have to do something intentional to get this out of my head. Hoooaah. Is that what they say??

Leslie said...

It's funny that you had something from Cedarmont Kids on here today. I was taking inventory at work of all our music tapes and noticed a bunch from Cedarmont.

I love this song too. And I love the comparison that you made. I'm thankful to be a part of God's great army!

Young in Christ said...

I'm in both and appreciate the post. I remember that song growing up and it still has a little something when I hear it. You should check out my post on the Christian Reserves I wrote the other month.

Billy Coffey said...

Loved that song. Wow, that brought back memories for me.

God's army? Absolutely.

christy rose said...

I remember singing that song when I was a little girl!
I am so proud to be in the Lord's Army and thankful that He bought my freedom! And I am so proud to live in America and thankful for those who gave us our freedoms!