Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I Don't Get It

Have you ever received a gift and thought "Why would they buy me this?" Maybe you just don't get it.

I remember one year my sister, My ADHD Me, gave me a fridge magnet with the recipe for Pina Coladas on it. I remember thinking "huh?" I'm not much of a drinker, and I never mix drinks. After my less than enthusiastic thank you, she asked "Don't you get it?" Obviously I didn't. It was a joke. A few weeks prior my other sister, ET, had emailed us with Thanksgiving dinner at her house, asking "What do you like to drink?" Some how her wording made a song come into my head, (imagine that). I had responded in jest "I like pina coladas...and getting caught in the rain." Obviously now the magnet made perfect sense to me!

The ancient Jews were told that a King was coming. They were anxiously waiting for this "king of the Jews" to rule. They had great plans and dreams of what his rule would bring. So when Jesus came and didn't want war, but peace, they didn't understand how he was going to "save" them. They wanted to be saved from Roman rule. They didn't understand he was coming to save them from themselves, their sin.

Even John the Baptist, the baby who had lept for joy in his mother's womb when Mary entered the room with Jesus in her womb; John, the man who baptized Jesus and saw the sky open and hear the voice of God acknowledge his son; John sent his disciples to ask "Are you the one who was to come, or should we expect someone else?" (Matt 11:3)

John didn't get it. He was in prison. Where was the new king? John was sent to prophesy about Jesus coming, to prepare the way, and yet he was still confused enough to ask "Are you the one?"

Even as believers it's hard to understand God, especially during tough times. Just like my sister had to explain the magnet to me, the truth is explained to us in the Bible. If you want to understand suffering, read Job. If you want to be able to praise God in good times and bad, read Psalms. If you want to learn more about applying your faith in your life, read James. Just read something.

If you're not spending time in the Word daily, I encourage you to do so while you can. Otherwise, you just might not get it.

Luke 8:10 -- He said, "You've been given insight into God's kingdom—you know how it works. There are others who need stories. But even with stories some of them aren't going to get it: Their eyes are open but don't see a thing, Their ears are open but don't hear a thing." (The Message)

John 12:36 -- Jesus said all this, and then went into hiding. All these God-signs he had given them and they still didn't get it, still wouldn't trust him. This proved that the prophet Isaiah was right: God, who believed what we preached? Who recognized God's arm, outstretched and ready to act? First they wouldn't believe, then they couldn't—again, just as Isaiah said: Their eyes are blinded, their hearts are hardened, So that they wouldn't see with their eyes and perceive with their hearts, And turn to me, God, so I could heal them. (The Message)

Chatty Kelly

19 comments:

sailorcross said...

No, they just didn't get it, did they? They were expecting a king as they had experienced in the past.

And, we have a new King--establishing rules of love one another, peace, joy, hope, faith, trust. And yes, they were confused.

As you say, even John was confused--"Are you the one?"

Yes, HE IS THE ONE!! And spending time with Him every day is the only way to "get it"!!

I'm so glad I FINALLY got it!! God is so patient, waiting for us, waiting for me to come to Him.

Thanks for another great post, Kelly!

Beth

Beverlydru said...

I get it. The thing I think I "don't get" most often is God's timing. My clock moves alot faster than His, so I have to constantly resynchronize. I should be named Nellie, as in "Whoa, Nellie!"

Melanie said...

I enjoyed the devotional for today!
Songs pop into my head, too. My boys have asked why I make everything into a song?
Sometimes, however, my songs are a little out of place. Once someone was telling a story about a man on a pacemaker and I started singing the "Stayin Alive" song. It was kinda funny.

Sue J. said...

And we need to pray for those who don't get the parables, because that gets to the heart being hardened against hearing the very basics of faith. We don't want folks to not get it.

Those of us who do get it, we need to pray that we can't get enough of it!

Excellent!

Truth4thejourney said...

Boy it didn't seem like the israelites ever really got it! I wonder if that's how we look to God sometimes? LOL! I would imagine He thinks that when He looks at me! But thankfully He has more grace than I have confusion. Glad He sent us His word as a guidebook. I need all the help I can get.

Have a great Wednesday!
Sonya

Greg C said...

Way to go. You know I am coming up on those parts and you had to ruin it for me. Just kidding, you could never ruin this story but I am seriously reading Luke now.

I once got one of those presents where I had to ask what it was all about. It was very similar to your example, however this person misunderstood the earlier conversation and the present made no sense at all. I got embarrased that I even brought it up. I never did get it.

I love parables. They make me think.

Melanie, I do the same thing and my children think I am strange.

Edie said...

I love your analogy here CK.

Funny how those who don't see are the ones who scream that believers aren't open minded. Truely it is the reverse. Believers have had there eyes opened so their minds are opened as well.

Dorothy Champagne said...

I don't think I have ever seen someone comparing the likes of Pina Coladas to the birth of Jesus - so bravo for analogy of the month!!! :)

Chatty Kelly said...

...and I don't even like pina coladas! Just the song!

Sharon said...

Great Post, I am so glad that I got it!! If we can just get others to get it, the world would be a better place, don't you think.
Love how you put this and I will ponder this and share at the dinner table tonite. :)

On Purpose said...

Thank you Kelly for your love, support and prayers!

Bonita said...

Girlfriend, if you don't submit this powerful message to the Proverbs 31 online devotions, I'm going to have to sit you down for a serious talking to!

This one really hit home with me as I spent all day pleading with God to move me out of my neighborhood and away from obnoxious neighbors. Get me out of Rome, God! Yet, He's saying for the moment, "I'll save you within Rome." Ugh! Not what I expected!

Becoming Me said...

I love the parallels you drew here. WOnderful post

KelliGirl said...

Kelly,
Great post! I just love all the characters in the New Testament who scratch their heads and say, "Huh?" when they encounter Jesus. He just didn't match their expectations. I can only imagine how John the Baptist felt while he was in prison.

Sometimes when I don't get it, I take comfort that eventually the disciples got it, but their knowledge came not from within, but via the Holy Spirit.

The Patterson 5 said...

That was great! What an inspiration to stay in the Word everyday! Thanks for the encouraging message and I love the family picture!

My ADHD Me said...

You're writing just keeps getting better and better

I remember I was surprised when you didn't "get" the magnet because you usually "get" my way of thinking immediately. But that's ok, I like getting caught in the rain, but I don't like Pina Coladas either.

(when you get rich and famous, do I get royalties?)

Regarding the comment from Melanie-HAHA!! That is something I would SO do and then be mortified. HAHA.

Mrs. Sidney said...

Great post and a even better reminder to actively seek him at all times and during all circumstances.

Thanks!!

Shabby Olde Potting Shed said...

Hey CK,
I've been sittin here staring at your post for a long time...just THINKIN.
Seems I've been telling God alot lately... Why, and I just don't get it? How come? But... He never fails to show me in ways I "can" understand. Even written on the back of a semi truck. LOL WE WILL FIND HIM WHEN WE SEEK HIM WITH all OUR HEART. And I never want to stop seeking.
Have a great night CK!
L

Marla said...

I am reading Luke right now. The magnet thing was pretty funny. I do those kind of things alot. What-I don't get it, until someome explains then I feel foolish!