Friday, October 3, 2008

Joey - Part 2 - What Happens When Satan Attacks

On Monday, you read about Joey. (If not, you can click his name, and go back and read it.) All my friends already know the story of Joey. When I run into someone I haven't seen in years, one of the first questions they often ask is "How's Joey?" Everyone knew all about Joey. He was on everyone's prayer list, the topic of constant conversation. At his school, everyone knew Joey. And everyone loved Joey.

But there is another part to the "Joey Story" that few people know. It is the story of what happens when Satan attacks. You see, my sister ET was the first of the sisters to get Jesus. ADHD-Jo and I were more passive believers at this point. But not ET. She was welcomed in a church that loved her. She joined a bible study. She had been sprinkled as a child, but was immersed to show her personal commitment to Christ. She was living in Florida at the time.

She moved home to Virginia, much to our delight, and planned on finding a new church right away. But then Joey got sick. All of her time was spent on visiting doctors and trying to get her son healthy. Once he was given his diagnosis, ET's faith was shattered. I'd ask her about it and she'd say "God and I aren't on speaking terms right now." Obviously she still believed in God on some level, but her spiritual life ended. Her husband totally renounced God calling him "one mean {expletive deleted}" for what God did to his son. Nothing could convince him otherwise.

It has been 8 years since Joey got sick and ET has not been back to church since. But nothing is impossible with God. ET has a daughter who is 10. And she wants to go to church. She has been to church with us many times and is asking her mom to take her. The bible says "a little child will lead them."

There has to be some fear involved. Imagine if the first time you gave your life to God, Satan attacked you. Would you be able to fight off the attack? Would you be willing to go back to God again? None of us can say for sure what we would do, if we haven't been in that situation. But I know God can turn things meant for evil into good.

Will you pray today for ET & family? Thank you.


Dear Lord, this family has been through so much. And you have been there with them the whole time. You know exactly what they went through, even more so as you did lose your son, who died on the cross. Yet, you have protected them, and you have allowed Joey to be healed. Thank you. Now I ask in your mercy to heal ET as well, that she may open her heart to you. In Jesus name, Amen.

16 comments:

The Patterson 5 said...

You and your siblings are so dear. Your childhood was a rocky one yet you've all grown up into wonderfully productive, loving adults and you all support each other. May God bless you all and may His peace fill all of your hearts so that there is no doubt God is near. May your all be protected from Satan's attacks.

Chatty Kelly said...

Amen, Patterson 5. Thank you!

Beverlydru said...

You can count on my prayers for ET. Faith moves mountains.

My ADHD Me said...

You know, I was pretty self absorbed and wrapped up in my own life (at that time) when ET joined the church in Florida. I had almost forgotten about that until now!

And it is hard..if not impossible...to answer the question of "WhY would God allow that to happen?". Of course the response is praise that Joey is doing so great but again, Why did it have to happen?

I'm asking that as a rhetorical question.
I KNOW there are answers about Satin and tons of Biblical passages that explain it. But still, only God knows why. As hard as we tried to help, no one could relate to what they were going through unless they had been in that same situation.

It was a horrible time for us to live through. Take that and multiply it by 1000 and that is what it was like for ET and family.

I'm going through the same "WHY" questions now with JM. More on that later.

My ADHD Me said...

Did I say Satin---duh...

Cindy Swanson said...

Kelly, I bowed my head and prayed immediately. No time like the present. Since I'm new to your blog, I wasn't familiar with Joey's story, but my heart goes out to the family.

I just heard Steven Curtis Chapman's song, "Yours." It talks about how he struggled with his faith (when his 5 year old daughter recently died in a horrible accident), but that he realizes that God is still with him. Would my faith stay strong? I hope so...but none of us really knows the answer to that question.

Have a blessed weekend...

Jen - Balancing beauty and bedlam said...

Praying in NC!

On Purpose said...

Praying and knowing that God can heal, and restore EVERYONE! Praising Him for His many blesssings that have came out of Joey's life!

Sue J. said...

Joey is living proof of a providential God, who does know when these unthinkable things happen but who never just stands by to watch without compassion....and so much more.

It is really, really, REALLY hard to see above a crisis situation. How often do we say that we only see God work in our lives in hindsight, or retrospect (or as Jen Hatmaker would illustrate--the rear view mirror)? That's when we understand that He is there....but, HE IS THERE.

Prayers have brought this family so far and the prayers of the faithful will be heard and answered again!

KelliGirl said...

Kelly,
This is a very powerful story. Thanks for sharing. I will pray for your sister, her family and all of you.

Sometimes I wonder if I stand firm in my faith because it's never really been tested.

Your story makes me think of Revelation 3:20, "Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me." There is a famous painting of this verse called "Light of the World" (I think). In it Jesus stands outside the door of a house holding a lantern. The door is overgrown with vines and has no handle on the outside.

To me that painting is such an encouragment that Jesus is always standing outside the door of our hearts waiting for us to invite Him in. But we have to open the door.

Even if vines have overgrown your sister's heart, Jesus is still standign there waiting to her to let Him in.

Blessings,
Kelli

Pinkshoelady said...

I will pray.
Remember and keep this promise close to your heart.
God will perfect the good work He started in her life.
Phil. 1:6

Love to you
Pamela

My ADHD Me said...

Hey CK, go read the blog, Notes in the Key of Life at cindyswanslife.blogspot.com.

Read her Post "13 Things About, I See What You're Saying"

She mentions 2 people that should win the prize for most creative blog. (no, not me) Go see who they are!

sailorcross said...

I will pray for your sister and her husband. And you are so right--little children will lead them--God may be using your niece and you and the many others around your sister to move her closer to Him.

I'll pray for God to soften her heart so that she can see beyond her hurt and see His goodness and mercy.

Beth

Edie said...

I am praying with you for your sister CK.

I think this is part of what it means to "work out our salvation." We have to work out the hard stuff that we don't understand in our hearts and in our minds and then choose to trust God in spite of our lack of understanding.

I hope ET reads your blog and sees how God is at work in His plans to draw her back to Him.

Jessica said...

If one of my children were diagnosed with that, it would be SO hard to trust in a loving God.
I'll definitely be praying for her and her husband. And for the daughter :-)

I love how you brought in "A little child shall lead them ..."
Awesome

Shabby Olde Potting Shed said...

Hey there,
That is some story... and one that is not alone by way of personal attack.
I did indeed pray for them... and my heart breaks for them.
You have a wonderful heart for people Chatty Kelly!
God bless YOU today!
Lea
<*)))><