Friday, September 5, 2008

Adjustments

It stars out with a back ache. Next thing you know it's a pain in the neck. Finally it's a full fledged headache that Advil won't touch. Now there's no doubt about it. I need to see the chiropractor. My back's out of whack!

At the chiropractor's office he applies a little pressure here, a minor adjustment there and CRACK! I'm a new woman. But chiropractic care is a strange thing. I need to keep going even when I feel okay. By continuing to go in and get adjusted, my back stays in line - no headaches! But if I don't go in, things start moving, little by little - until here I go again! My back's out of whack!

My Christian life is just like that. It starts out with getting out of the habit of reading the bible. Next thing you know you're not praying. Finally you're faced with full fledged sin and even Aleve won't alleviate it! I need to see the Holy Spirit. My spiritual life is out of whack!

Just like the chiropractor, the Holy Spirit also applies pressure in my life. The pressure for me to make my own minor adjustments...to my schedule to allow more time for bible reading, to my priorities, to make sure I'm putting prayer before other things. Suddenly - I'm a new woman!

But just like chiropractic care, I need to continue with it. If I don't, things start moving, little by little until - here I go again! My spiritual life is out of whack!

Take a look at your spiritual posture today - it is out of whack? If so, visit the great physician and see if you can make some adjustments in your life to get BACK to God.

Psalm 119:169-176 --
May my cry come before you, O LORD; give me understanding according to your word.
May my supplication come before you; deliver me according to your promise.
May my lips overflow with praise, for you teach me your decrees.
May my tongue sing of your word, for all your commands are righteous.
May your hand be ready to help me, for I have chosen your precepts.
I long for your salvation, O LORD, and your law is my delight.
Let me live that I may praise you, and may your laws sustain me.
I have strayed like a lost sheep. Seek your servant, for I have not forgotten your commands.


p.s. Regarding Wednesday's post, I am not considering any surgeries...I just know how judgemental I have been in the past and felt convicted of that because I have had the "minor" stuff done (just started getting highlights this year.) So thought I'd share.

Don't forget Monday is my author interview with Rebecca Ingram Powell. See you then!

19 comments:

Kay Martin said...

You're right it always begins with the "little" things. That's either the good life or the lack of peace life. An old saint said that her interpretation of "many are called but few are chosen" is simply that the chosen, SHOW UP.

In line with your thoughts today I think you could sum up our Christian life: show up to do whatever He directs you to do.

Truth4thejourney said...

This post is a good reminder to keep things on track with God! Oh, I should probably go back to see my chiropractor, as well! :)

Love,
Sonya

My ADHD Me said...

And the great thing about our Spiritual Physician is that there are no co-payments.

My chiropractor (who, of course, is CK's chiropractor) tells me that when the pain is bad and it affects your whole life, which, it does, then you need to try to decide whether or not it is worth it. Of course it doesn't hurt that he gives firefighters special rates.

God's c0-payment is prayer. Again, you have to decide if it is worth it. We all know the answer to that.
(now if our chiropractor would just stop wearing sandals with socks...haha)

My ADHD Me said...

Just Kidding!!

The Patterson 5 said...

You are so right. The little things just keep adding up and we have to keep ourselves emersed in His Word and focused on Him.

Thanks for the encouragement to "press on toward the goal" (Phil 4:14)

Thanks for the concern for our spiritual posture. I know I could do well with a good visit with The Physician!

Hey, is that Your back in the picture! (kidding)

Careful Wisher said...

I absolutey love your comparison! You are completely right about the alignment process. God Bless, Melissa

Jenny said...

So true!
Jen

Sue J said...

You have been inspired with a wonderful analogy here in a crisply written piece that deserves to go elsewhere. (And those are my words and not my Dad's--LOL!) GREAT JOB!

What's sad (and so true) is how you notice the signs with your back and sometimes don't do anything until things get really, really painful. Why do we do that? And is it not true with our sins as well? We can be so casual...not even notice. Then, whammo!

That ever-present Counselor is always "on call" to guide us into all Truth. (And, yes, adhd me, Jesus paid the bill in full so that the "on call" service could be made available free to all who ask, seek and knock--AMEN!)

Shabby Olde Potting Shed said...

Hi Chatty Kelly,
Had to stop in and say hello!
And now, I'm checkin my "spiritual posture."
I could use an alignment myself.*

I'm happy to meet you!
Lea

Runner Mom said...

Sometimes my spiritual posture looks pretty good! But inside, I may be slouching, and that leads to other aches and pains.

I loved the part about the Holy Spirit applying pressure in my life. Girl..I need that pressure!Great analogy, Kelly! Great post!

Love ya,
Susan

Rebecca Ingram Powell said...

Hi CK,

I would have commented on this one earlier today but I was getting my hair done. LOL!

Every four weeks--you better believe it!

Can't wait 'til Monday!

Sarah said...

Thank you for posting a comment on my blog--thank you for your thoughts and prayers as well.
Sarah

Irritable Mother said...

Oh, Kelly, I haven't been to the chiropractor in, um, a year and a half? Did he tell you to write this one?
Well, insurance doesn't cover it anymore, and I could come up with a bunch of other excuses...
But I am spending time regularly with the Great Physician and He is taking great care of me. *grin*

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

I completely relate to this, girl. I really, really need my quiet times every single day or I get completely out of whack...and it's not pretty!

Jessica said...

Cool way to tie the spiritual with the physical! And very true.

HisPrincess said...

Just like water dripping on a stone, the little things wear us down eventually if we are complacent.

Thanks for the reminder.

Kimberly said...

This is great! I can get "out of whack" so quickly! We really do need to guard our relationship with the Lord carefully and ask the Holy Spirit to convict us of areas where we are getting off track.

Thanks so much for coming by today! I have enjoyed reading through your posts! (Oh, and I've never had anything "major" done myself, and have often been a bit judgemental, but who knows...if I had the money, I may be tempted to tweek a few things on this ol' body of mine!)
:)

Blessings,
K

Pinkshoelady said...

Loved! Loved! Loved this post!
I can relate with the whole back thing!
The spiritual thing too. Everyday I need a spiritual crack!

Thanks For praying for me! I have missed being able to post and lerave comments like I use to but come October I should be pain and work load free again. Maybe?

I love you my friend!
Pamela R.

Bonita said...

Awesome post, Kelly, written in true Kelly style! I can so relate given that I'm seeing a chiropractor for my neck these days. Interestingly, last night the Lord reminded me that He rebuked the Israelites on several occasions for being "stiff-necked". Ouch!

By the way, this is another one I really wish you'd submit to the Proverbs 31 online devotionals. It's such a great analogy.