Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Greatest Gift

My oldest daughter attended a birthday sleep over with a gaggle of girls on Friday night. She came home Saturday with a painted, decorated picture frame; a handmade headband; and a handmade bracelet. All this cutie crafts were orchestrated by the birthday girl's mother.

As I looked over her loot, I couldn't help but feel inferior to the other mother. You see, I am craft-challenged. Not a little bit, either. As a matter of fact I am challenged in many of the little ins and outs of mothering, as I never had a role model to teach me such things. I am self taught (or by girlfriends) in the art of meal planning, cooking, etc. I am not that domestic. So as I looked over these cute crafts, I felt a bit bad.

"I'm sorry I'm not very crafty." I told my beautiful 8 year old. And she responded matter of factly, "Mom, I love you just the way you are." There is certainly no sweeter gift I have received from her than that! If only I could learn to apply it to myself, loving myself just the way I am.

We also have a God who loves us just the way we are. In Jeremiah 31:3b, God says "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness. " Zephaniah 3:17 says "The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing." Can you imagine the God and creator of the Universe takes great delight in you, rejoicing over you with singing?

I am so thankful to receive unconditional love from my Heavenly Father. And I'm also pretty proud of an 8 year old girl who loves me, just the way I am.

5 comments:

Sue J said...

Craftiness is definitely not a requirement for being a good mom. And, who says you aren't crafty? (I've seen your sandals.....)

I think you have already figured out what you need to focus on--God's unconditional love for you. You are His creation and He loves you just the way you are (even when your 8 year old changes her mind in a brief flash of time). Meditating on His Word about you will fill your heart with the truth.

Jesus with skin on always looks lovely!

The Patterson 5 said...

Craftiness may or may not be your thing but encouraging your girls and others to use thier lives for God's glory definatly is! I love the way you display your girls masterpieces in your home.
We all have different talents, abilities and stengths that God has given us to accomplish many good works he has set for us to do.

Alyce said...

Hi Kelly..
I will beat myself up over certain things as well and I have to remind myself that is not about what I can't do ..but its about the Love that God has for me!
Blessings~
Alyce

Sonya said...

Isn't it neat how much we can learn from our children! They do know unconditional love. Unfortunately as adults we often have to learn that one all over again! Don't forget that we are all part of the body of Christ and if we were all crafty but no one could write a devotion or encouragement where would the world be?? :) (Your daughter isn't the only one who loves you just the way you are!)

Alyce said...

Hi Kelly...just wanted to let you know about a blog carnival going on..its about getting something accomplished in a week..mine is cleaning/organizing my home office. I wondered if you'd be interested in it..visit my blog to see more info..
Alyce